The requirements for undertaking the University of Cape Town (UCT) Bachelor of Science in Construction Studies.
This degree equips students with a wide range of skills and knowledge required of a managerial role in the construction industry. Over the three years of study, students are challenged with aspects that deal with design, construction and engineering technology as well as subjects such as economics, statistics, human resource management, commercial and contract law, costing, surveying and professional communication. Practical experience is a component in all three years’ curricula.
Aims of the Programme
To provide graduates to the construction, property, and related industries who possess entrepreneurial and business skills appropriate to a broad range of vocations in the built environment and, together with appropriate experience, meet the education requirements towards registration with the South African Council for Quantity Surveying Profession , Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Chartered Institute of Building, the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions; and to provide graduates with life skills.
Outcomes of the Programme
Upon completion of the BSc in Construction Studies programme, the graduate is competent to:
- perform basic construction trade skills and set out buildings
- use computer packages for computer-aided draughting presentation, scheduling and information processing
- manage and prepare tender and contractual documents relating to building work
- estimate cost and undertake financial management of construction projects
- manage the construction of buildings and related infrastructure
- manage the human resources within a construction firm
- understand and evaluate economic issues concerning the construction sector and the construction firm at both a micro and macro level
- understand the time value of money and apply discounted cash flow techniques for evaluating alternative property investments
- communicate with construction professionals concerning spatial concepts, financial issues and construction assembly problems.
The curriculum for the programme shall extend over not less than 3 academic years of study. A candidate shall complete approved courses to a value not less that 432 credits and shall comply with all the prescribed curriculum requirements which may in any given year exceed 432 credits.
|Course Codes||Course||UCT Credits||HEQSF Level|
|BUS1036F||Evidence based Management||18||5|
|CIV1006S||Building Science I||16||5|
|CON1004W||Construction Technology I||32||5|
|CON1010S||Construction Information Systems||8||5|
|ACC1006S||Financial Accounting 1A||18||5|
|CML1001F||Business Law I||18||6|
|CML2005F||Labour Law I||18||6|
|CON1019S||Professional Communication Studies||16||5|
|CON2006W||Construction Technology II||32||6|
|CON2020S||Construction Management I||16||6|
|CON2022W||Measurement & Design Appraisal I||16||6|
|CON3012W||Construction Technology III||32||7|
|CON3031W||Measurement & Design Appraisal II||32||7|
|CON3032W||Applied Contract Law I||12||7|
|CON3033F||Property Studies I||16||7|
|CON3038W||Construction Management II||32||7|
|CON3043W||Cost Engineering under Uncertainty||16||7|
A person who wishes to be admitted as a candidate for the Bachelor of Science in Construction Studies degree must:
- obtain the National Senior Certificate endorsed for degree studies
- write the National Benchmark Tests – NOT REQUIRED FOR 2022 (DUE TO COVID-19)
- obtain the required number of points (applicable to candidates writing the South African National Senior Certificate Examination)
- satisfy specified subject requirements
- have a degree from this, or another university recognised for the purpose by the Senate
Click here for the latest entrance requirements 2022 Prospectus
Please contact the Department on 021 650 3443 for detailed course information.
Your next move
UCT offers many programmes. If you do not meet up to the requirements of this programme you can consider another programme on the list. Go to >> University of Cape Town Faculties/Programmes.
However, if you meet the requirements and wish to apply to study this course. You can simply check the application processes.