The requirements for undertaking the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) B Medical Science: Physiology .
The following programmes are offered by the Discipline of Physiology:
- Bachelor of Medical Science in Physiology
- Bachelor of Medical Science Honours in Physiology
- Master of Medical Science in Physiology
- Master of Medical Science in Sports Medicine
- Doctor of Philosophy
In addition to servicing the Physiology requirements of the first three years of the 2001 MBCHB curriculum at the Nelson Mandela School of Medicine, we teach Physiology courses in 1st and 2nd years of the nursing curriculum (B Nursing); Neurophysiology requirements of the M Med (Psychiatry) Part 1 course, and offer assistance to registrars writing Part 1 courses of the College of Medicine.
Furthermore, service courses in Physiology are presented to students completing Health Science programmes in the Schools of Dentistry, Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Physiotherapy, Sport Science & Optometry and Audiology, Occupational Therapy & Speech-language Pathology and BSc students in the B.Sc. (Biomedical Science) programme of the Faculty of Science.
Research foci of staff in the Division include:
- The pathogenesis of salt-sensitive hypertension (molecular, endocrine and renal responses)
- The management of diabetic, renal and cardiovascular abnormalities with medicinal plants
- Exercise immunology (pro-inflammatory cytokine, adhesion molecule and acute phase response)
- Sports nutrition and hydration status of MBT riders
- Antioxidants and trace elements in oxidative stress
- Ultrastructural and immunocytochemical studies of scar tissue
- Medical education
- Epidemiology (lung function, exercise and health promotion)
However, if you meet the requirements and wish to apply to study this course. You can simply check the application processes.