The requirements for undertaking the University of Johannesburg (UJ) Biochemistry..
Question: What are the Requirements for Admission to the Faulty of Science and Biochemistry?
Applicants who matriculated from the end of 2008 onwards:
- Grade 12 Language of Teaching and Learning: 4
- Grade 12 Other recognised language: 4
- Grade 12 Mathematics: 4 (5 if Chemistry will be taken as a major subject)
- Grade 12 Life Orientation: 4
- Grade 12 Physical Sciences: 4 (5 if Chemistry will be taken as a major subject)
- Applicants who matriculated before 2008:
- Certificate of full university admission issued by the SA Matriculation Board
- Grade 12 First Language HG at least 50% (D-symbol)
- Grade 12 Second Language HG at least 60% (C-symbol)
- Grade 12 Mathematics HG at least 50% (D-symbol)
- Grade 12 Physical Science HG at least 50% (D-symbol)
- M-score of at least 16 points
Question: What Possible Combinations can be taken with Biochemistry?
- Human Physiology
- Courses for which Biochemistry is compulsory:
- BSc Sports Science
- BSc Aquatic Health
Question: What Qualification do I need for Various Careers in Biochemistry?
- BSc: Lab Technician/Technologist, Sales Representative, Product Specialist
- BSc + diploma: Science Teacher, PR person, Information Librarian, Science reporter
- BSc Hons: Researcher, Lecturer (Technikon), Science manager
- MSc: Researcher, Lecturer (Technikon or University)
- PhD: Divisional heads in Industry, Divisional head in Research Institutes, Directors, Senior Lecturers/Professors
Question: What are the career opportunities in Biochemistry?
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Agricultural Research Council (ARC)
- South African Institute for Medical Research (S.A.I.M.R.)
- National Departments of Agriculture, Water and Health
- National Institute for Immunology
- Statuary Bodies such as SA Bureau of Standards
- Water Boards (Rand Water)
- Blood Transfusion Services
- J & J
- Adcock Ingram
- Highveld Biological
- Lancet Laboratories
- Du Buisson
However, if you meet the requirements and wish to apply to study this course. You can simply check the application processes.