The requirements for undertaking the University of Johannesburg (UJ) Department of Fashion Design.
Diploma in Fashion Production (D8FP1Q)
The student obtaining this qualification will demonstrate competency in analysing and applying the principles of the fashion system from production through to consumption in order to meet market demands.
The programme is structured to produce outcomes demonstrated by the student’s ability to:
- Develop and apply a production strategy that reflects market research, design development, branding, marketing, merchandising and distribution of a product range that meets the needs of an identified fashion target market.
- Apply advanced textile application, manual skills and computer technology (CAD/CAM) to the manufacturing processes of a diverse range of fashion products.
- Develop technical packages that analyse, solve and communicate problems related to technical product development and quality improvement of fashion products.
- Apply business, personnel and operations management principles to enhance quality, productivity and profitability related to fashion manufacturing.
- Conduct basic research in a selected specialised area of the fashion supply chain: technical product development; textile technology and application; production and quality systems; marketing and branding; material and product sourcing; and adoption and consumption of fashion items.
The programme will equip you with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in the fashion industry, including:
- Career opportunities in retail, for example, buying and merchandising
- Pattern-maker and/or grader – manual and CAD-assisted
- Garment technologist
- Quality assurance
- Production coordinating
- Senior certificate or equivalent qualification with a minimum APS or M-score
- Online entrance selection process
- Compulsory school subject: English
|Min APS||Languages||||Mathematics||Other requirements|
|20 With Mathematics||Language of teaching and learning*||Other recognised language**|||
(50 – 59%)
(50 – 59%)
(40 – 49%)
Maths Lit: 4
|Entrance selection process|
*English, Home Language or English First Additional Language
** Home Language or English First Additional Language
ENTRANCE SELECTION PORTFOLIO REQUIREMENTS
The entrance selection portfolio requirements for the Diploma in Fashion Production (D8FP1Q) will consist of the following sections:
Section 1 – Self-Introduction Video
Upload a video of yourself.
This video must not be longer than 30 seconds.
A video that is longer than 30 seconds will not be assessed.
Very briefly, in 30 seconds, tell us who you are and what you find most exciting about studying at FADA.
Submission Format: MP4, 40MB
Section 2 – Three-Dimensional Drawing
Draw a three-dimensional drawing of a garment on a body or figure of your choice.
Submission Format: jpg, jpeg, png, 2MB
Section 3 – Written Component
Write an essay of 300 words only, about a recent news story or article that had an impact on your life and
how did it influence you or change the way you think about an issue?
Submission Format: Input to be made within the textbox provided as part of Section 3, via the on-line entrance selection portfolio submission process.
Section 4 – Departmental Assessment
This section will involve basic calculations for patterns, garment, percentages, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
Submission Format: Questions to be answered as part of Section 4 via the on-line entrance selection portfolio submission process.
Submission of a portfolio must only take place once you have officially applied to the university and have been officially invited by the faculty to participate in the entrance selection portfolio process. You will be informed by means of an official entrance selection letter from the faculty regarding the portfolio requirements and the submission process.
No emailed portfolios (or part thereof) will be accepted.
Mrs Antoinette Engelbrecht
Departmental Secretary: Fashion and Industrial Design
Faculty Art, Design and Architecture
Tel +27 11 559 1022
However, if you meet the requirements and wish to apply to study this course. You can simply check the application processes.