UPSA Grading System 2021 (GPA and MBA)

UPSA Grading System for 2021 has been announced. The grading system is used to assess the educational performance of a student which is entirely based upon points alone.

University of Professional Studies

The University of Professional Studies Accra (UPSA) wishes to let the student community know that the grading system is out for 2021/2022 academic session. The system determines to a great extent your status in the school. It determines whether you will graduate or not.

UNIVERSITY OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES ACCRA GRADING SYSTEM 2021

The effective date for the implementation of this grading system was 2011/2012 Academic Year for Diploma and Undergraduate Level 100 students.

LETTER

GRADE

NUMERICAL

MARK (%)

INTERPRETATION GRADE POINT(G.P)
A 80 – 100 Excellent 4.00
B+ 75 – 79 Very Good 3.50
B 70 – 74 Good 3.00
B- 65 – 69 Above Average 2.50
C+ 60 – 64 Average 2.00
C 55 – 59 Below Average 1.50
C- 50 – 54 Marginal Pass 1.00
D 45 – 49 Unsatisfactory 0.5
F 0 – 44 Fail
X Absent
Z Disqualification
IC Incomplete
ADT Auditing

Consider also: Logging into UPSA Student portal

  • Definition of Grades

 

  • Pass grades: Grades A to C – constitute pass grades. With the definition of grades, the sentence following the Failure grades was amended to read as follows:Grades D, F, X, Z constitute failed Although grade D is a failed grade, it is considered as unsatisfactory grade only for General Education Courses (GEC).Thus, with this proposed new policy, students are allowed to trail a maximum of three (3) ‘Ds’ in GEC and still graduate. However, the grade ‘Ds’ are supposed to be limited to only the General Education Courses taken at level100 and should not be Common Professional Components (CPCs) courses.
SEE ALSO  UCC Admission form 2022/2023 Academic Session

 

  • Non-Completion of Course:
    • A grade IC (for Incomplete) shall be awarded to a student who is unable to complete a course for reasons adjudged by the Departmental Examinations Committee as unsatisfactory. Such a student shall be expected to complete the course the very next time the course is available.
    • A grade X shall be awarded to a student who is unable to complete a course as reasons adjudged by the Departmental Examinations Committee as It is a failed grade which attracts (0) awarded to students who absent themselves from examination without any satisfactory reasons.

 

  • Audit: A grade ‘AD’ shall be awarded for attendance at lectures. However, a student may not be required to take In a case where students are required to be examined in an Audited Course, the marks obtained will not be factored into the calculation of the student’s FCGPA.

 

  • Except with the consent of the Director of Academic Affairs, no student shall be allowed to audit a course.

 

  • Disqualification:
  • A grade ‘Z’ denotes disqualification from an examination as a result of an examination malpractice or It is awarded to candidates who attempted to gain undue advantage in an examination, be it continuous assessment or end-of-semester examination.
  • A candidate awarded a grade ‘Z’ may be inhibited from taking the University’s examinations for a stated period, or indefinitely, or may be expelled from the
  • A grade ‘Z’ may be awarded only by the Departmental Examinations Committee subject to the approval of the Academic Board. It is a failed grade which attracts (0) awarded to candidates who were involved in examination

 

Students in Good Standing

SEE ALSO  UWC Prospectus 2023 PDF Download Procedure

A student in good standing shall be one whose Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is at least 1.00 at all times. Students whose Cumulative Grade point Average (CGPA) falls below

1.00 at the end of an academic year, will be advised to withdraw from the University.

 

Semester Examination

The marks obtained in the end-of-semester examination shall constitute 65% of the grade for the course whereas continuous assessment constitutes the remaining 35%. For students under ACBSP course structure, 60% shall constitute end-of- semester examination and the remaining 40% shall constitute continuous assessment.

 

Minimum and Maximum Workload

The minimum and maximum workload per semester shall be as follows:

A student shall take a minimum of fifteen (15) and maximum of twenty one (21) credit hours.

 

  • Classification of Diploma/Degree by FCGPA

All end-of-semester examination results from Level 100 shall be taken into account in the computation of the Final Cumulative Grade Point Average (FCGPA) for the classification of the Diploma/Bachelor’s degree.

In the determination of the FCGPA, a weighted average of all repeated courses shall be used. For example, a 3 – credit hours course with a grade ‘F’ at the first attempt and a grade ‘A’ at the second attempt shall attract a total of 6 credit hours in the computation of the Grade Point Average.

  • Classification of Diploma/Degree Diploma

The classification of a Diploma is based on the value of the Final Cumulative Grade Point Average (FCGPA). All course taken, except AUDITED or EXEMPTED are included in the calculation of the FCGPA.

 

The full scheme of classification shall read as follows:

SEE ALSO  SMU Prospectus 2023 PDF Download Procedure

 

DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES RANGE OF FGPA
Distinction 3.50 – 4.00
Credit 2.50 – 3.49
Pass 1.00 – 2.49
Fail Below 1.00

 

 

Degree

The classification of the Bachelor’s degree is based on the value of the Final Cumulative Grade Point Average (FCGPA). All course taken, except AUDITED or EXEMPTED are included in the calculation of the FCGPA.

 

The full scheme of classification shall read as follows:

 

CLASS OF DEGREE RANGE OF FGPA
First Class Honours 3.60 – 4.00
Second Class Honours (Upper Division) 3.00 – 3.59
Second Class Honours (Lower Division) 2.50 – 2.99
Third Class Honours 2.00 – 2.49
Pass 1.00 – 1.99
Fail Below 1.00

 

  • Diploma Awarded

The Diploma shall be classified as Distinction, Credit, Pass or Fail as per the first table above.

 

  • Bachelor’s Degree Awarded

The Bachelor’s degree shall be awarded with First Class Honours, Second Class Honours

(Upper Division), Second Class (Lower Division) or Third Class Honours.

 

A student who does not meet the standard for the Honours degree may be awarded a pass degree, provided his or her overall FCGPA is not below 1.00

Leave a Reply